With school starting back up, what better a time than now to talk about tips for packing an eco-friendly lunch? Packing an eco-friendly lunch reduces massive amounts of waste, and saves you money at the same time! There are so many great products out there that will keep you from heading to the store to buy more plastic baggies…
By the way, have you ever thought about how many plastic baggies you use in a week? What about a year? How much money are you spending on them? If you do the calculations you will be absolutely shocked at the money you are wasting on those things. Plus, it takes them hundreds of years to decompose. It’s a really sad, sad thing! The chart below is calculated for a one adult, and two child household. It’s really unbelievable the amount of waste we are creating, and most people don’t really think about it most of the time.
Because of this, I’ve compiled a list of eco-friendly packed lunch products that will help your family reduce the large amount of waste that generally results from packing lunches on a regular basis. Some of them are affiliate links, so I will receive a small percentage with no additional cost to you, but all of these products are great and very earth friendly!
Tips for Packing an Eco-Friendly Lunch
- Ditch the baggies and plastic wrap! Purchase reusable containers and baggies.
- Find a great safe lunch box similar to some of the ones listed below. Reusing a lunch box is much more eco-friendly than using paper bags.
- Don’t purchase individually packaged food and snacks. That will save you a ton of money and reduce waste, plus in general foods that are not packaged individually have less added ingredients (example: pre-cut and pre-packaged apples).
- Try using cloth napkins rather than paper napkins or wipes.
- Avoid buying plastic silverware. Just pack normal stainless steel silverware and wash it when it’s brought home.
Great Eco-Friendly Lunch Products
Although it’s not completely necessary to purchase any of the products below, I really enjoy the many compartments that they have. It’s particularly great for packing a variety of different foods in one simple container for kids, since normally they love variety and finger foods!
I hope that this post has motivated you to think about how much waste is being created by packing lunch every day with disposable items. By tweaking your normal lunch-packing routine, you can reduce your yearly waste by hundreds of pounds!
If you would like to receive similar articles directly to your inbox, sign up for our Newsletter!